Some old work and random bits.
In deciding what my next photogrammetry project would be, I remembered the 1863 (I may be wrong on the year) Remington Navy cap and ball revolver that I found in my Grandmother's basement as a child. My Uncle Frank had procured it as payment for mowing grass back in the 40s, and has sat in a box in one place or another for decades. It's in poor condition in terms of finish and the locking mechanism on the hammer is broken. Furthermore the base pin handle has broken off, and the tab that keeps the charging handle against the barrel is missing.
My goal is to scan and clean up and essentially do a digital restoration of the subject, replacing the missing components, removing corrosion (and the results of my pre-adolescent rust removal that destroyed any original finish), such that it looks like it may have when in service.
This digital restoration will then be skewed to both a real-time model and a printed and finished display piece. Both lend challenges. Removing the corrosion and adding a smooth blued finish, without destroying the scanned detail and avoiding extensive remodeling may not be easy. Printing the high rez mesh shouldn't be to challenging, but painting and finishing with the hopes of simulating blued steel, brass, and wood, may very well be.
I have dissembled the revolver and am formatting how to support it and it's separate components within my light tent.
I'll update as time goes along. This promises to be a fun project, and the idea that this relic that has meant so much to me over the years may carry on within my chosen art form, is a thrilling prospect.
I have the revolver more or less disassembled. Were this a working relic, I would have likely opted to have a gunsmith do the disassembly, but for better or for worse it appears it has likely been disassembled and reassembled many time over it's lifetime, and was rendered inoperable a long time ago. In fact, the hammer was secured to the frame, via the tip of a cut off nail. I have to wonder if that was the work of my late Uncle. Prior to his ownership, I know nothing of the relic.
I have one more step in the disassembly, and that is removing the cylinder from the frame. The pin (technically speaking the base pin) that holds the cylinder within the frame, has not only lost it's handle that helps to facilitate removal, the remainder of the pin has frozen within the cylinder. A healthy dose of PB spray hasn't loosened it a bit and no amount of hammer and punch have elicited a modicum of movement. As soon as I finish this update, I am headed to the hardware store to buy some Kroil for the frame to soak in for a week or so. This is a bit of a setback, but I can at least start photographing the parts I have already removed. The worst case with the cylinder is that I leave it in the frame, however that would make separating the components, along with repair and clean-up in their digital state, a bit of a headache. Wish me luck.
I've decided to try my hand at selling some models on Shapeways. I used a demo of Modo to model the bottle, with Zbrush for the skull, details and scaled .SLT export. I'm new to Modo, but have to say I am really liking it. I think I'll pick up a license the next time it goes on sale.
I'll post a follow-up once my test print arrives, with perhaps a quick posting on my process.