I did this piece a few years ago. The helmet was wearable (albeit a bit awkward to say the least.) The display bust consisted namely of a urethane (Smooth-On's Plasti-Paste) casting I did via a life cast a year or so before I made the helmet.
Time for some catch up. Family, work and freelance have kept me pretty busy...
Anyhow, here's one of my latest projects. It's a stylus holder that fits over the base of the OEM holder that comes with Wacom tablets. It was sculpted in Zbrush and printed on a friend's Form 1 3D printer.
It was painted with airbrushed acrylics and an oil paint wash. I finished with a mineral sprit based varnish, wich turned out really nice.
When I get my act together perhaps I'll do a post on my process.
I've decided to try my hand at selling some models on Shapeways. I used a demo of Modo to model the bottle, with Zbrush for the skull, details and scaled .SLT export. I'm new to Modo, but have to say I am really liking it. I think I'll pick up a license the next time it goes on sale.
I'll post a follow-up once my test print arrives, with perhaps a quick posting on my process.